Channeling Giovanni - Rambling thoughts from outside the cha cha...

Me: Interesting, peculiar, awash in contradiction, sensitive, easily distracted, odd, thoughtful, odd, political, philistine, romantic, laid back, clever, sweet, puppy dog, introspective, hyper, odd, Bohemian, untrendy, jock, and all around good guy.

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Older gay men and younger guys

When I was younger, I never really understood why I had older gay men chasing me all the time. I was a bartender at a gay bar for a few years; the stigma of working in a gay bar seems to automatically brand you a rent boy. But from the time I came out until the time I really stopped being out in the "scene" years ago, guys that were sometimes twice my age chased me around.

Sure, the "looks" thing, I get that. I was just on an airplane full of college guys headed to spring break party time. I get that part completely.

However, I have two male employees that are both in their early 20's and I have noticed a phenomena with these guys. Both are quite attractive, but I see attractive guys all the time. This past year, I have spent a lot of time interacting directly with these two guys. The thing that makes them so attractive is their attitudes. They are enthusiastic, happy, positive, and have a fresh way of looking at things.

I think one of the things that happens to you when you hit your late 20's or early 30's is that "they" beat "it" out of you. "They" is the world. "It" is your positive attitude. I proudly proclaim that a pessimist is an optimist with experience, but I can still remember a time when I was a happy optimist.

I think that this youthful attitude is part of what drives older guys to be attracted to younger ones. A few times I have wondered if I were single and these guys were not working for me, if I would ask them out. Of course, this is all a theoretical discussion, but it has been eye opening working around these guys and finding them so attractive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home