Channeling Giovanni - Rambling thoughts from outside the cha cha...

Me: Interesting, peculiar, awash in contradiction, sensitive, easily distracted, odd, thoughtful, odd, political, philistine, romantic, laid back, clever, sweet, puppy dog, introspective, hyper, odd, Bohemian, untrendy, jock, and all around good guy.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Happy Fourth of July from Paris

I have a new 2nd favorite city in the world. Paris. I am here for the second time this year (if you don't count 2 other times just changing planes). I found it very appropriate that I am in Paris on July 4th; the French, after all, financed the American Revolution.

This city is absolutely the most beautiful city I have ever been in. I even find the people cordial and welcoming. The food is great. And an evening boat ride up the Seinne was a great way to cap off a day of walking.

Late in the afternoon today, I passed by a gay bar, and stopped in for a drink (well, a Coke Light). I talked to the bartender for a while and he was quite interested to hear about life in the U.S. We even talked politics for a while and he was suprised to learn that our doofus president is not all that popular here.

I get the impression from most Europeans that their opinion of the U.S. (well certainly our current government/administration) is they view us as a misbehaving child. Not quite so bad that we need to be punished, but sort of a "oh, there go those Americans again. Aren't they mischievous." But a word of warning to my fellow Americans (the next time you vote), even a misbehaving child gets ostracized sometimes and we are on our way there.

Don't get me wrong. I love the U.S.A. and I believe with all my heart that it is the greatest republic to ever stand. If asked, I would fight to the death to defend the U.S.A. and her people. But I'm embarassed by my government, the president, and by some of the Red States' voters.

Happy July 4th!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home